For most of us traveling without shopping is unthinkable. It is by natural instinct we shop at the local stores when you are traveling to a place. Italy is recognized as a great world shopping destination and hence, tour of Italy is incomplete without shopping your heart’s content at its many leading stores.
Italy is one of the fashion destinations of the world and hence, you are likely to find all the leading brands having their stores in Italy. Moreover, Italy is the famous shopping stop for leather accessories, fashion accessories, jewelries, antiques, glass items, chocolates and confectionaries, wine, gift items and so on and so forth. In a word, Italy is a shopper’s paradise.
We know that you too are an enthusiastic shopper and therefore we have compiled an exhaustive shopping guide on Italy for you. Find out exciting tips which will make your shopping in Italy expedition all the more exciting.
Shopping in Italy tips
Shopping in Italy can be an exciting experience if you keep the following tips handy during your tour of the country.
- Learn the art of bargain: Bargaining at the local stores is a common practice in Italy. Tourists should therefore acquaint themselves with the pricing techniques to save themselves from paying high prices on things that are not worth it. Hence, hone your bargaining skills before going out to shop in Italian stores.
- Shop at local stores: Often times the shops at the remote towns and villages are much more reasonable than the stores at the popular tourist destinations. You can get items of same quality at much lower prices at the local stores.
- Shopping at big outlets: Shopping in Italy can turn out to be an expensive affair since the big fashion outlets often approach to the customers directly to maximize their profit. Often the items at the fashion outlets are overpriced depending upon the name of the brand. Rather, shopping at the local retailers will be more economic.
- Check discounts: Like bargaining, discounts are also common phenomenon of shopping in Italy. You can get upto 70% discount on various items at stores. Hence, ask the shopkeeper for discounts.
- Duty free shops: For the benefits of the tourists there are several duty-free-shops available at various parts of the country and also at convenient locations. You can save big money by shopping at these shops.
- Consider taxes: Value added tax or VAT is applied to almost all Italian items. Hence, the shoppers must carefully check the tax requirements while shopping in Italy.
- Ask a local friend: If you have a local friend you may ask her to accompany you on the shopping expedition. She may help you in getting good bargain if you are not sure of your bargain skills.
- Choose your time wisely: The best time to go on a shopping expedition in Italy is during January and July. This is the time when you can get reasonable deals on several shops in Italy. However, remember that the branded shops never offer a sale on commodities.
Top shops in Italy
Italy offers hoards of merchandise to shoppers. A wide range of shopping fashion items is available both at the local stores as well as the branded outlets for shoppers’ delight. Following are some of the famous shops in Italy.
- Armani Factory Store
- Via del Corallo
- Via dei Banchi Vecchi
- Via del Pellegrino
- Via dei Coronari.
- Jill Sander
- Emporio Lario 1898
- Dolce Saverio
- Fontana di Trebbia
- Dolce & Gabbano
- Ferre and GM Venturi
- Italiana Manifatture
- Filippo Alpi
- Via della Scrofa
- Via di Ripetta
- Galleria Agostini
- Ponte Milvio Antiques Market
- Gianni Versace
- Chocolate & Praline Cioccolateria
- Via Campo Marzio
- Via Leoncino
Some more shopping destinations in Italy
Following are some of the great shopping cities in Italy to make your shopping in Italy experience more fun. When you are in Italy, check out at the following cities for some unique shopping experience.
The most important city of Italy is also a hot shopping destination. You would find great number of shops lacing both sides of streets of Rome displaying an array of fashion goods. Some of the biggest names of the fashion industry, such as- Fendi, Valentino, Bulgari, hail from this country and therefore have their exclusive outlets here.
Rome is also good for street shopping. You would find great many outdoor shops and flea market in Rome where you can shop for accessories, clothes, antiques and such.
Rome is also ideal if you want to shop at the boutique stores. There are many great boutique shops available in Rome where you can shop for exclusive fashion items. Some of the popular boutique shops are-Via Borgognona, Via Frattina, Via Sistina, and Via Bocca de Leone.
Florence is another popular tourist as well as shopping destination. It also happens to be the place where renaissance flourished and hence, you can visit the museums here where the renaissance painting and sculptures from the great maestros are at display. Florence, however, is also a great shopping destination as you can find here shops of all the leading brands, like- Gucci, Pucci, or Ferragamo. Ferragamo is the local brand and therefore has two outlets in Florence.
Florence is also good for shopping for clothing, housewares items, antiques and the like. You may check out shops like- Via Calimala at Piazza della Repubblica for great shopping items. In Florence you will find international brands like Zara and department stores like Rinascente as well.
More on Italy